24 September 2004

Le Lune

The fortnight gone has been really overcast, so despite the bitter cold, the clear sky last night was a welcome change and provided me with a chance to partake in one of my favourite hobbies: gaping at the Universe. (It's big!)

With this, last night was the first time I got to try out my new(ish) camera (pictures below!). The great thing about this camera (the Canon Powershot S1 IS) over my last camera (the Canon Powershot A10) is that it provides alot of features found on film-cameras, and while it still isn't as good as a DSLR, it's great for taking photos that would otherwise stretch most point-n-shoot cameras.

Anyhow, here's a thousand words (click on the thumbnails to view them at full size)...



Le Lune
Taken at full (optical and digital) zoom. Cropped and adjusted in Photoshop.



Capella (I think! I forgot to take my Palm with me)
Again, taken at full zoom, and cropped and adjusted in Photoshop. The red halo effect around the star is an artifact of the lens.



Perseus (Again, I think!)
Cropped and adjusted as the others. I had the aperture opened up to the max. on this photo, while the shutter speed was set for 2-seconds -- enough time to resolve the detail without too noise from the CCD.