5 March 2003

What's in a name?

Perhaps the hardest part of starting my own blog was choosing the name. I wanted something short and snappy, identifiable and distinctive, something I could relate with. Yet it had to sound cool too. ;) I found that all my initial choices, such as siphr (Arabic for zero), coincidence (my life is FULL of them) and potato (don't ask! ;) had already been taken. So had all the Greek letters and most of the Arabic and Hebrew alphabets too. Drat.

Anyhow, in the end I found epicycle (definition coming soon). I liked this word because of what it conveys, the idea of circular trajectories prescribed within circular trajectories. It kind of fits in with my philosophy of the circle of life (also coming soon -- watch The Lion King in the meantime), and has roots in the history of astronomy (yup, I'm a science geek -- sorry!). Plus it sounds cool. :)

So here we are: epicycle.