4 August 2004

BookCrossing

BookCrossing sounds like a really neat idea. Basically you buy a book, read it, and then register it with BookCrossing. They provide you with a unique BookCrossing identification number (a BCID) and let you write a little review of the book on their site. You then write the BCID and the BookCrossing URL somewhere in your book, and leave it somewhere for some random person to find. Starbucks, Waterloo Station, on the Tube, anywhere is fine. The person who finds your book is then supposed to read it, log into BookCrossing, enter the BCID and enter their own thoughts about it. They then leave it somewhere for someone else to find and the cycle (the epicycle?) repeats. Neat, eh?

I have a heap of books I need to get rid of from my bookshelves, and I think BookCrossing will be alot more fun and interesting then giving the books away to charity, friends or eBay addicts.

So if you find my handwriting scrawled in a copy of Lawrence Krauss's Quintessence that you picked up randomly on the tube, go to BookCrossing and let me know what you think.