7 May 2003

Cambridge

Today I found myself in Cambridge for a workshop regarding grid applications in the UK (remind me to tell you all about my work one day). The meeting took place at the newly built Centre for Mathematical Sciences. The centre displays a strange yet appealing architecture consisting of a number of "pavilions" where each pavilion looked like a stylised pagoda made of glass and steel. These were splayed out around a lawn and common room (with an astroturf roof!) which was shaped like the wake of a boat. As strange as all this sounds, it actually worked. Here's an aerial photo:
Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge

After the meeting I met up with Fah. She made me walk what felt like the entire length of the River Cam, but it was fun catching up with her. Fah recently began a blog called Quasi-histrionic. "Histrionic" means excessively dramatic or emotional, and those of you who know Fah will know how it fits into her philosophy of life, the universe and everything. She's alot better at blogging than me so please excuse any copyright infringements on my blog. ;)

I don't know what it is about Cambridge in the sunshine. Could it be all those majestic and historic buildings, those prim lawns, the calm the comes from punting down the river, or that certain air of intellectual activity associated with the place. It's so wonderfully quaint and serene, I love it! Then again, maybe it's just that I've been in London for too long. :P