19 March 2003

We are the champions?

It looks like we're going to war. I wonder if anyone has considered the outcome if Saddam Hussain wins?

The general consensus appears to be that this outcome is not likely. I agree that the probability of Hussain winning a war against the Western Allies is very small, but it exists none-the-less. Furthermore, there have been other battles in history (i.e. Vietnam) where the technologically superior side have not won. So I don't think my question is baseless.

I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure what I mean by "wins" in this context. What if Hussain was to launch one of his weapons of mass destuction (WMDs) on a target such as Israel? Does that constitute "winning"? What about if he surrenders his WMDs but continues to stay in power to rule Iraq? Would that not be a defeat?

If Hussain were to win, what would it mean to the West? Moreover, how would the balance of power change in the Middle East? How would the World's opinion of the US as a military hyperpower change?

I don't know. But I should just clarify that Hussain winning the war does not necessarily equate with Iraq winning. And I find it absurd that we are still resorting to war given the N*103 years of history (where N>1) we have of ourselves, clearly indicating that this is a very bad thing.

We are the champions? Yeah, right...