25 March 2003

Reading

The last few days have been reasonably linear and I don't really have any "news" to share.

I've been trying to make sense of this war, and trying to figure out what is actually happening out there in the "real world." I can't help but feel that we're being lied to by the media (on all sides of the socio-political-geographical spectrum). I don't blame them, however (Chomsky gives a good analysis for their motivations).

With all the propaganda targetting us, it's been refreshing to read Salam Pax's blog live from Baghdad, Iraq. Free of artificial flavourings and additives, his account of the events unfolding around him, as well as their causes and their affects, have a sense of heart felt realism and determination. I hope he survives the invasion of Baghdad.

Other blogs I'd like to recommend (if only because i've been glued to them over the past few days) are: Aziz's distilled commentary and analyses about anything political; and Christopher Allbritton's outlook of the war (unfortunately he's still "stranded" in the US). Good stuff.

My New Scientist subscription is coming to an end and I'm not sure whether or not I want to renew it. They've certainly been informative and enlightening to read over the past year, but they've also been time consuming, and I long to sink my teeth into something fictional, or non-fictional but more focused. Suggestions please!

I started Mullahs On The Mainframe for the Nth-time (where N>1) on the tube into work this morning. So far it's been an interesting but difficult read. I'll try to update you with my opinions as I get through it. Hopefully I'll finish it this time.

I wish I had more time to read. Must get back to work on that Delorian. :)